The hero named Hawkgirl has faced threats and adventures across the universe, but DC’s Mysteries of Love in Space #1 is pitting her up against a new kind of crisis. For the first time in her millennia-long history… she’s forced to spend Valentine’s Day alone.
Hawkgirl is the last person who will complain about her predicament, of course. But even with thousands of years of reincarnated love, recent events in the DC Universe have actually made her and Hawkman’s romance seem boring. As our exclusive preview of “Galentine’s Day” shows, Hawkgirl takes it upon herself to spend the holiday of love and romance keeping watch over the world… but she’s only alone for a few pages.
The tale from Cecil Castellucci, Elena Casagrande, Jordie Bellaire and Steve Wands is just one of a whole collection of romantic trials, tales, and ‘what-if?’s contained in Mysteries of Love in Space #1. But where the other stories may reunite (or test) some of the most well known romantic pairings in the DC Universe, Hawkgirl’s soulmate is currently out of town. Out of the planetary sector, in fact. Ever the hero, Hawkgirl is taking the universe into her own protection, so that her fellow married, enamored, or entangles teammates can spend Valentine’s Day with those they love.
Check out the preview pages below to see how quickly her plan of a low-key, uneventful ‘Galentine’s Day’ goes awry:
The identity of the massive, big-eyed, alien invader Hawkgirl encounters during her time at the helm is a mystery left for the entire story (and Valentine’s Day issue). But if we’re honest, the hardest pill to swallow may be the claim that nobody – nobody – would attempt to make Hawkgirl their Valentine by sending flowers or a gift to the Hall of Justice with her name on it. That being said, perhaps the world knows that winning Hawkgirl’s heart means putting themselves in Hawkman‘s crosshairs. Hopefully, once Hawkgirl’s role in Hawkman’s new comic origin finally starts to make sense, these two lovebirds can find their way back to eachother.
Either that, or Carter Hall has some new competition in the form of a gigantic blue mass of cosmic… stuff. Until we get our answers, read on for the full synopsis and details below:
- MYSTERIES OF LOVE IN SPACE #1 (2019)
- Published: Jan 30th, 2019
- Writer: Jeff Loveness, Kyle Higgins, Cecil Castellucci, Saladin Ahmed, James T Tynion IV, Aaron Gillespie, Gardner Fox, Andrea Shea
- Art: Elena Casagrande, Jesus Merino, Cian Tormey, Max Dunbar, Tom Grummett, Max Raynor, Amancay Nahuelpan, Mike Sekowsky
- Cover: Joëlle Jones
- Sometimes love can make you feel like you’re from another planet…but what if you actually were? Join Superman, The New Gods, Green Lantern, Starro, Hawkgirl and even the Teen Titans’ new sensation Crush for eight tales of romance that will whisk you to the moon and back!
Mysteries of Love in Space #1 will be available on Jan 30th from DC Comics.