Korean netizens have been suspecting that TWICE is being targeted by chart manipulators and are extremely upset about it.
Recently, the indie artist SHAUN has been rapidly rising in the charts, causing suspicion among netizens that he may be another case of “Nilo“.
Nilo is also an indie artist who topped the Melon Charts back in April with his song “Pass By”, surpassing TWICE’s “What is Love?”, which ranked second, thereby effectively blocking TWICE from receiving the Perfect All-Kill.
TWICE had ranked No.1 for all other music charts with the exception of the Melon Charts.
SHAUN’s rapid rise in the charts has been creating the same effect, excluding the fact that the chart he is dominating is the Genie Charts, rather than Melon Charts.
This time, TWICE was unable to achieve a Perfect All-Kill for their new song “Dance the Night Away”.
After two cases of suspected chart manipulation affected TWICE’s would-have-been Perfect All-Kill, Korean netizens have begun to think that these “manipulators” are out to get TWICE.
ㅓㄱ울해죽겟음 기계만 3번째다ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ하
— 둘리 바보아님 (@tw_dooly) July 16, 2018
“I can’t accept this. This is the 3rd time, by machines!”
거의 트와이스 저격하고 사재기하는 덧.. 맨날 겹쳐
— 여리 (@1_SP_1) July 16, 2018
“They’re basically targeting TWICE and manipulating the charts…It always overlaps.”
장난치냐 숀.. 역주행 사재기도 적당히 해야지 이건 그냥 수직이잖아
왓이즈럽때도 그렇고 리메즈 머냐 닐로랑 숀 이건 트와이스한테 악감정으로 저격하는거지..;; pic.twitter.com/6GIrA87wGu
— 천설사나1229 (@re5O2K3ssw8oleN) July 16, 2018
“Is this SHAUN a joke? He’s taking it too far, the chart graph is a vertical line. This happened to ‘What is Love?’ too. Limez, Nilo and SHAUN. They’re maliciously targeting TWICE.”
— 한오뎅 (@OoOdenggu) July 13, 2018
“Those people targeting TWICE is so scary.”
Moreover, fans were generally frustrated and sad about the fact that such incidents seem to be occurring more frequently.
- “I’m really so sad. This is one of the few things we can do to repay the TWICE members for working so hard in preparing for their comeback…This happened during ‘Heartshaker’ and ‘What is Love?’ too. I thought maybe this time, things would pass without any problems but here it goes again. I’m just so sorry to the members. No matter how much we stream, the graphs don’t follow so there’s simply nothing we can do.”
- “I’m so frustrated. No matter how much we stream, that person stays on top of the chart because he paid his way through. Fans of artists who are also on that chart probably share this feeling too, right?”
- “TWICE fans must be so annoyed. How many times have they done this? I didn’t really think it was too serious when Nilo did it before but seeing SHAUN rise in the charts yesterday made me so angry.”
- “It’s really annoying. I can’t even imagine how upset TWICE fans would be. Some say the song is pretty good, but I haven’t listened to it and don’t plan on listening to it.”
- “I feel so bad for TWICE…They got their No.1 taken away by machines yet again.”
International netizens also seem to agree that TWICE is definitely being targeted as these instances seem to always coincide with their comeback.
Sabotaging once Twice's comeback is like suspicious but twice makes it clear that they are targeted.
No one is salty,we're just being obvious to two outsiders to the K-general public having songs that were released longer before but took over the chart the moment Twice came back
— Roxanne (@tzy610) July 16, 2018
This is targeted harassment. This keeps happening to Twice and it's not funny anymore. How can a bside suddenly rise and with the same pattern as Nilo. Music charts have become a joke.
— BL♤CK PE♤RL (@KpopIsFunToo) July 16, 2018
Look at the charts. There is no way that Twice isn’t being targeted here. pic.twitter.com/N2CYLpUJ1M
— #Momo’s Hot Tiny Bodyguard (@2xinternet) July 16, 2018
Don’t you guys get it? It’s the 2nd time already… and it targeted only TWICE… https://t.co/59l1fUrom1
— 𝒷𝓇𝑒𝓃𝒹𝒶 (@PrincessBrendy) July 16, 2018
Despite these accusations, however, TWICE is still doing an amazing job with “Dance the Night Away” and has been going viral in Korea with their new comeback.
Whether or not they are being targeted, the summer queens continue to rise!